Monday, January 30, 2012

{Wrapping up the Weekend & My Guest Blog Post!}

Since I already had a topic in mind, that wasn't time friendly, I went ahead and created today's post.  However, I completely forgot I was guest blogging today at my fabulous best friend Jennifer's blog, Pure & Simple Organizing.  Check out my post about the fun topic of organizing coupons here (I'll let everyone in on my coupon addiction soon)
--Jennifer owns a small business in Charlotte, North Carolina and specilizes in organizing EVERYTHING.  Whether it be your home, work, or life she is your your go-to girl!!  Please check her out...she really ROCKS!!


So I realize it's a little past the weekend, however I haven't had a ton of spare time to blog.  Sick children require a lot of time, love, and attention :)  Thankfully, Kayleigh is feeling better and is able to return to school and I to work.  Since we weren't able to get out and about this weekend I'm at a loss for fun and exciting news to blog.  So I decided to share some of Kayleigh's favorite meals or her "comfort foods" so to speak.  

I created this recipe via an appetizer McAlister's Deli used to have on their menu a couple years ago.  I'm not positive as to what McAlister's dubbed this particular item, but Kayleigh has created the name "green pizza".  I know, I know...green pizza just does not sound appetizing in the slightest.  However, you have to remember, she came up with this name a little over 2 years ago, and at that time she was identifying objects by color.  Seeing as that typical marinara sauce or "red" sauce is how she identified regular pizza, she saw the pesto as the base for this pizza and then came the name "Green Pizza."  While the appetizer from McAlister's was super yummy, I just knew I could recreate the same meal at home for much less...and I was RIGHT!!
For this super easy & quick meal or snack you will need:
  • 1 sandwich wrap/tortilla like those made by Ole Mexican Foods. I personally use the high fiber/low carb. These are great for sandwiches as well and are only 2 points+ with WW.
  • 1 Tbsp pesto
  • Handfull of cheese (any kind you wish or have on hand).  I use mozarella
  • Tomatoes or Rotel
  • Grilled chicken (I normally use leftovers or you can use the precooked brand from the deli)

Preheat your oven at 375 degrees. Apply pesto to the entire wrap leaving a small edge. Top with cheese, tomatoes, chicken, etc. Cook for 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven and pan) until wrap is at your ideal crispness. Yumm!! 


Kayleigh's next request of the weekend was chicken tortilla soup.  I fixed this for supper a couple of weeks ago and she ate 2 bowls full...she never eats that much, NEVER!  I again used a restaurant's version of soup for my creation.  I really like On the Border's Chicken Tortilla Soup.  It's so yummy and warm and comforting...but I would rather make it from home a) because it's cheaper and b) because I know exactly what goes into the recipe and I know who made it.  Restaurants can be gross!!

For this recipe you will need:  
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 3 (14.5 oz) cans Chicken broth (I personally use the low/no sodium kind)
  • 2 (6 oz) packages Pre-cooked chicken strips, cut into bite-sized pieces or 1 12 oz can of chicken
  • 1/4 cup Whole kernel corn
  • 4 tbsp Uncooked rice
  • 1/2 cup Chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup Finely chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • Tortilla chips, broken 
Boil chicken broth in large soup pot. Add salsa and rice to broth. Cook about 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add chicken, onion, and cilantro. Cook until heated through.

To serve, break tortilla chips into each bowl. Ladel soup over chips. Top with cheese and 1 Tbsp of cubed avocado. Serve immediately.  Makes about 6 servings. 

My last quick little recipe isn't a meal...but a nice little snack.  I LOVE bananas.  They are a great filler for me.  I also love peanut butter...it's more of an addiction actually :)  For this you will need: 
  • One banana
  • 1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
  • Chocolate Chips (just enough for the length of your banana)
  • Aluminum foil
I cut a medium size banana length-wise, spread my peanut butter on one side and added 10 chocolate chips to the peanut butter so they wouldn't roll off. I placed the banana back together and wrapped in aluminum foil. I then stuck the banana in the freezer for about an hour.

OMG...it was sooooo delish!!  I'm sure you can leave the banana longer, but I just couldn't wait...I'm a little impatient at times :) 

Hope yall enjoyed my recipes.  Anyone have any favorite recipes you tend to want when you're sick or just need some comfort food?

No comments:

Post a Comment