Tuesday, February 21, 2012

{Happy Fat Tuesday}

According to Wikipedia, Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday.  Wow!!  And to think...some people celebrate this day consuming alcohol, partying it up, and trying their hardest to obtain the most beads.  We've commercialized this holiday (along with many others) and put our own little spin on it, don't ya think?

I honestly didn't realize Lent started the day after Fat Tuesday.  Being raised in a Baptist denomination church, I don't really remember observing the season of Lent.  I do remember learning the basics on Lent while in school, such as it consisting of the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday and that most people "fast" something in their everyday life. 

I have always wondered if I could "fast" something for 40 days.  Honestly, it doesn't seem like an extremely long period of time, but I'm sure it's longer than I realize when it's something I do, use, or consume daily.  So, here comes my challenge..."CAN I fast something for 40 days??"  Of course I can!!  With a little determination, I can do anything I set my mind to!!  Now...what would I like to abstain from for the next 40 days?  Oh geez!!  Decisions, decisions!!  I might as well go big or go home with this soooooo......I will "fast" my FAVORITE soft drink, SunDrop.  I don't drink near as much SunDrop as I used to, but I do have my days where I just crave the sweet citrus taste.  You may want to pray for those around me =)  Just kidding.  I'm sure it will be difficult in the beginning; but like anything else, I'll learn to adapt. 

What are you "fasting" for Lent?


No comments:

Post a Comment